Competitors of All Ages Needed: Beginners Can Attend Free Sand Sculpting Training Sessions in June
Do you enjoy the sand and sun, and love to see the professional sand sculptors create amazing sandcastles at the Sun and Sea Festival? Learn how to become a sand sculpting artist from the pros and then put a team together to awe the crowds. Whether you are looking for something to do over the summer holiday, or are a part of local business looking to participate in a team building exercise, working with sand is a fun and rewarding activity. And all teams compete for prizes at the Sun & Sea Festival on July 16.
Learn the craft from professionals: Sand sculpting lessons will be held on weekends in June.
- “Like” us on Facebook or check back on our website for dates and times.
The tools you will need: Shovels, buckets, straws and fine carving knives. For kids, many Imperial Beach shops sell sandcastle building toys made out of brightly colored molded plastic. Kits include a small shovel and rake, and several molded shapes that look like castles.
To sign up for the competition: Register via the website at www.sunandseafestival.com
Select from main menu: How Can I Participate?
Select: Sandcastle Building Registration
Select a category: Family/Business, Kids n’ Kastles or Masters/Professionals.
Practice now with these sandcastle building tips:
- Build sandcastles near water, but not too close as the tides rise your castle can be destroyed.
- Fill your buckets with water to saturate the sand. Wet sand sticks together and allows you to form castle structures. Work fast and keep the sand from drying out.
- Construct towers by stacking sand patties about the size and shape of thick pancakes, or make a big pile of sand and carve into it.
- Seal your towers by gently spraying with a spray bottle filled with water.
Saturday, July 16, 2016 — Pier Plaza and Dunes Park areas along Seacoast Drive, Imperial Beach
9 am – 2 pm Masters and Family/Business Sand Sculpture Competitions
Noon – 1:30 Kids ‘n Kastles Sand-Building Competition
2 pm – 4 pm Sandcastle judging
4 pm – 5 pm Sandcastle Awards Ceremony at Pier Plaza