Professional and kids sandcastle building highlights, free, family-friendly, no alcohol event
Professional and amateur sand carving teams compete in one of San Diego County’s most beloved traditions. The free, family-friendly, no alcohol event, includes a street festival, farmers market and international food fair, live music and entertainment. Back by popular demand is a Kids Zone filled with kid-friendly fun and entertainment at Dunes Park. Public viewing of the sand castles takes place on Saturday only, throughout the day until 5:00 p.m.
Friday, July 15, 2016
9:00 am Mayor’s 2nd Annual Imperial Beach Pier Swim & Paddle (Dempsey Holder Safety Center IB Lifeguard Tower)
10 am Mayor’s Breakfast at Pier Plaza
Noon – Dusk Exhibition Sandcastle on Display
6 pm – Midnight – The Sandcastle Ball – Boys & Girls Club
Saturday, July 16, 2016 — Pier Plaza and Dunes Park areas along Seacoast Drive, Imperial Beach
7 am – 9 am Pancake Breakfast – Pier Plaza
9 am -10 am Parade travels west on Imperial Beach Blvd to Seacoast Dr. North to Old Palm Ave ending at Silver Strand Blvd
9 am – 2 pm Master & Family/Business teams Sand Sculptures (Constructed north of the pier*)
10 am – 5 pm Farmer’s Market and International Food Fair open along Seacoast Drive Dempsey Holder Center and Pier South
10 am – 4 pm Children’s Activities (Kids Zone in Dune’s Park)
Noon – 1:30 pm Kids ‘n Kastles Sand-Building Competition adjacent to Dune’s Park
2 pm – 4 pm Sandcastle judging
4 pm – 5 pm Sandcastle Awards Ceremony at Pier Plaza
*No media interviews of contestants during the contest.
- No animals, skateboards, bikes, smoking and alcohol will be allowed in the festival area or on the beach. Do not leave unattended pets in a locked car due to summer heat.
- TOURIST INFORMATION: http://sunandseafestival.com/
- Handicap parking: Palm and Seacoast.
- Bike Parking: Non-secured bicycle parking is available outside the festival area at Seacoast Drive and Dahlia Avenue.
- Sponsors: The Port of San Diego, The City of Imperial Beach, County of San Diego, North Island Credit Union. Media sponsors KYXY 96.5 and Eagle & Times Newspaper
MEDIA PARKING: Exit Palm Ave (Highway 75) west from Freeway 5 South. Turn left at the split toward Imperial Beach. Turn left at 2nd Street, turn right at Elm, head to barricade at Seacoast Drive. You will be escorted and given access to cross Seacoast and park in the center of the festival area.